ABOUT WADDINGTON VILLAGE

Mayor Mike.JPG
Mayor Mike Zagrobelny was elected mayor in 2019. Mike and his family live on Brookview Dr. in the village. A native of East Aurora, NY, he has deep roots in Waddington as both his mother, father, and wife are Waddington natives.

 

Mike graduated from St. Bonaventure University in 1991 with a Bachelors degree in English and Potsdam State College in 2000 with a Masters Degree in the teaching of English.

 

Mike taught middle school and high school English in both Virginia and New York including 13 years with Madrid Waddington Central School. Mike is currently a Labor Relations Specialist with the New York State United Teachers.

 

Mike considers Waddington to be the crown jewel of the St. Lawrence River and looks forward to working with the entire community to preserve and improve life in Waddington for everyone. 

Driving directions
Mayor's Notes
Posts Are Coming Soon
Stay tuned...
Our History

Did you know? The Village of Waddington

  • The first settlers arrived around 1798.

  • The Village was originally called Hamilton after Alexander Hamilton. David A and Thomas L Ogden formed a business connection with Hamilton until the duel that resulted in Hamilton's death. The brothers, owners of the Town of Madrid sold one third to Joshua Waddington.

  • In 1818 the name of the village changed from Hamilton to Waddington. The Town of Waddington was formed afterwards.

  • Joshua Waddington arrived in America in 1776 from England died in 1844 at the age of 89 years.

  • Waddington was incorporated April 26, 1839.

  • Mr. Spafford states in his Gazettte of 1813, Hamilton then contained 135 houses, 2 saw mills, 1 grist mill, a fulling mill, trip hammer, and the site of an academy then building. 

  • A furnace was built by the Ogdens in Waddington in 1834. It was termed by iron founders a quarter furnace. It was 26 feet square and 28 fee high and ran on bog ore alone. In 1840 the furnace stopped.

  • During the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway parts of the village were relocated and the old industrial area was destroyed.

  • The seaway opened in 1959 and cost C$470 million

  • According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.4 square miles,  2.2 square miles of it land and 0.2 square miles of it (8.82%) is water.

  • Population in 2017: 952

*source